To anyone who knows me, it should be no surprise that I’m a fan of Britney Spears. Britney Jean Spears, as indicated by her latest album. In fact, the very first post on this blog, over two years ago, was about a concert of hers that I attended in DC. You can read all about it, but suffice it to say that it was fantastic, and I am VERY glad I spent the money to go!
Britney recently turned 32; she was born December 2nd, 1981 (like I could ever forget!). Like all true fans, I observe her birthday every year, and we fans (the Britney Army as she calls us, hehe) did something special for her 30th- we each recorded and uploaded to YouTube a short video birthday greeting.
I’ve been a fan of hers ever since I first saw the “… Baby, One More Time” video on MTV back in… 1998. 1998, that’s 15 years ago!
I’d never been much into music (I’m still not; I have a very limited selection of artists to whom I listen), but something about that video and the music got me hooked. Fast forward to 2013, and I own all eight albums and a few singles, totaling well over 100 songs Despite how vehemently her haters protest that she’s no longer relevant, they still care, too. She’s still relevant and on top- in my obviously very-biased opinion!
The next day, December 3rd, was also a big day for us fans- the release of her eighth studio album, Britney Jean.
She’d released two songs before that day- “Work B**ch” and “Perfume”- and upon first listen, they didn’t strike me as amazing. But of course I had to remind myself that when I first heard “Hold It Against Me”, I thought to myself, “Oh Britney, what have you done?” Watching the video for that song didn’t appease me any. But then things changed…. after a while (and it didn’t take that long), I was hooked. Same with “Work B**ch” and “Perfume”. The “Work B**ch” video is amazing, and hearing the song played over the loudspeakers at the finish of the Marine Corps Marathon (which I only spectated this year) was really exciting. The “Perfume” video debuted today; I’ll be watching that as soon as this blog post is done!
So here’s my quick review of her newest album (the deluxe version):
1) Alien- Has a surreal, orbital sound to it, which is definitely intentional. I really like the sound of her voice here.
2) Work B**ch- Hot! Check out the video. Fun and catchy, great for dancing or working out (e.g. finishing a marathon).
3) Perfume- It’s no secret that her breakup from ex-fiance Jason Trawick affected her deeply. This is the first of several songs that addresses unhappiness in a relationship (maybe this one). It’s mellow, and a side not too often heard in her songs. “Everytime” comes to mind, but “Perfume” just has something extra.
4) It Should Be Easy- Ok, it’s definitely will.i.am doing background vocals on this song. Basically, the message of the song is that a true relationship shouldn’t be complicated. I don’t know… maybe this song will become catchy later, but right now, not so much.
5) Tik Tik Boom- Also has a catchy tune, but it’s not mellow. It’s more reminiscent of her attitude in Femme Fatale. Some rapper dude (maybe someone named Diplo??) has some vocals and mentions PETA. I could do without the rapper dude.
6) Body Ache- Another hot song, sure to bit a hit! Some of the beats definitely remind me of “Scream & Shout”, and I’m not the only one who thinks that. This similarity in beat is thanks to will.i.am, who’s musical/production ability I question. I mean, why did he want to produce Britney Jean, and was it really a good idea to let him do so?
7) Til It’s Gone- A sad song with a catchy tune. “You’ll never know what you got til it’s gone” sums it up.
8) Passenger- Co-written by Katy Perry; talks about giving up control and how good it feels. It opens with belly-dancing music, which is weird. The song itself just doesn’t seem like true Britney; it’s hard to explain. I’ve only heard a couple of Katy Perry songs, but this one definitely sounds more like Katy than Britney.
9) Chillin’ With You- A cute duet with her little sister, Jamie Lynne, who just released her first single and has her first album (country) due out in 2014. They sing together well, but they have distinct voices that are also good individually.
10) Don’t Cry- Another mellow song, this one about moving on after breaking up. I think the lyrics and sounds are beautiful. Some reviewers have said this song is a flop, but I disagree.
11) Brightest Morning Star- A song about her relationship with God. At first, I’d thought she was talking about motherhood. It’s touching, and I like how personal it is.
12) Hold On Tight- A slow song in which she thinks about the goods times they had. Breakups are never easy, but at least the latest one gave her plenty of song material.
13) Now That I Found You- The background music on this song makes it feel more folksy than country. Britney sings about the happiness of finding The One.
14) Perfume (the Dreaming mix)- a slightly enhanced version of the original. Some have said this version sounds a little better. It’s not a day-or-night contrast, but I guess I’d agree.
And the other big Britney news- her Vegas show!! Britney Spears will be performing in Vegas at Planet Hollywood for a two-year residency starting on December 27th.
One of her performance dates is on April 30th, which happens to be my birthday. I would love to go see her on that day, and I’ve run the idea by some friends who are interested in a Vegas trip. I’ve got to get the ball majorly rolling on this plan so we can make it happen.
I recently heard an interview with Britney in which she said she’ll be performing 21 songs. Maybe that list is already somewhere online, but I’m going to try guessing the 21 songs and I’ll soon find out how spot-on I was! In no particular order….
- … Baby, One More Time
- Piece of Me
- Till the World Ends
- Hold It Against Me
- I’m a Slave 4 U
- I Wanna Go
- Oops!… I Did It Again
- Me Against the Music
- If U Seek Amy
- Til It’s Gone
- Body Ache
- Tik Tik Boom
- Do Somethin’
There. I don’t think I repeated myself, and now I’m interested to see the real list. I hope that Britney does fantastically in Vegas; I’ve always been rooting for her, through thick and thin.
And now, I’ve got to go watch the “Perfume” video!